Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Promoted?

Mama Sauerkraut: "God Sauerkraut! I'm just so depressed that you're so motivated."

My mother has a way with words, she always has. If you're wondering why my mother would say suck a thing here's why...

Yesterday, I sat in a meeting discussing the do's and don't's of working at this company. Basically, it was a meeting telling our employees to shape up. (I won't lie, I was in a bad mood... because I wasn't in charge. There was supposed to be food, there were cookies. It was supposed to discuss specific topics, they weren't even touched on. And where the fuck were the balloons?! Had I been in charge there would have been balloons, every important detail would have been touched on and in a humorous and timely manner, and most importantly... there would have been some fucking food! Cookies?! Cookies?! Jesus, I had to eat 3 of them just to keep my mouth full so I didn't bitch out the dumb asses in the room! Anyways, moving on the true bulk of my story...) At the end of the meeting one of the Big Kahuna's said to me "Sauerkraut, I need to speak with you in my office, immediately!" I said "Okay" but in my mind I'm thinking... "Son of ass! I knew I should have dressed more professional! (I was wearing one of my favorite outfits, hoodie sweatshirt, jeans, and classic Chuck teenie runners) Now I'm on the way out... I'm stealing that fucking plant before I go." So I head in there with my head lowered and a hunch in my back. The meeting begins:

Big Kahuna: "I have a problem, will you help me solve it."
Me: "Sure."
Big Kahuna: "Are you loyal to your department."
Me: "Every since I was a little girl this is what I've loved doing. And yes, I'm very loyal to my department. However, I think I'm the type of person who develops passion for whatever they do. In addition, I'm confident that I can do whatever I put my mind to and give it 110%.
Big Kahuna: "I'm glad you said that! I need to let someone go and I want you to take over their department... in addition to yours."
Me: "Okay, um, wow. Is this a permanent move?
Big Kahuna: "It should be temporary but we'll see."
Me: "When is this going to take place?"
Big Kahuna: "As soon as tomorrow. No longer than the end of the week."
Me: "Okay." (Thinking... "Holy fucking shit! Are you fucking shiting me?")
Big Kahuna: "I will get you more money."
Me: "Well, I'll be honest. I feel I deserve more money. I took this job for less than I felt was fair with the idea that I would prove myself to you.
Big Kahuna: 'That's why I need you to do this."
Me: "Okay."
Big Kahuna: "We'll be in talks."

And the meeting is over. So there I am, in my stupid hoodie and Chuck Taylor teenie runners, with double the responsibility. Most people would be excited, and I am. But I'm thinking:

- I get paid shit to do what I do.
- I spend my Friday nights working!
- I work 12 hour days.
- I work 8/9 hour days on the weekends.
- I'm here until 9/10/11 o'clock at night.
- At the end of the day my employees make more than I do and I barely make minimum wage.
- I never take lunch.
- I've used 1 vacation day.
- I haven't seen my family since July.
- I haven't seen my friends in forever.
- Pineapple (My man) is going to be pissed. He hates seeing my upset, stressed, grumpy, underpaid, etc.
- What if the new people hate me and they try and get me out of here? I don't want someone sitting in the Big Kahuna's office telling him how I suck!

On the other hand I'm thinking:

- More money.
- A better retirement for my mother.
- Laser hair removal. (I'm a hairy bitch!)
- A puppy.
- A house.
- I'm so honored that they would ask me to do this. I can't believe that after 5 months with the company they would ask me to step up and master control 2 departments. I must be doing something right.
- More opportunity to prove myself.
- More experience.

So my friends. I am soon to be the master in control for 2 departments. The first is a giant that basically supports the entire company and the other, I believe, has the potential to be that. Really there is no point to this story, I just needed to vent. The good news is, I'll save some money... because I won't have any time to spend the extra bucks I'll be making. That is all...

Sauerkraut

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think of the bright side, you can get me twice as many hook-ups now!!

jess said...

congrats!